Friday, July 31, 2009

Letters on St. Peter's Basilica


The following is a part of a letter Michelangelo wrote to his nephew concerning the work he wanted to do for God.

"Many believe, -- and I believe -- that I have been designated for this work by God. In spite of my old age, I do not want to give it up; I work out of love for God and I put all my hope in Him."

The following is a letter Michelangelo wrote about being harassing to get the work done.

"I spend my days supervising the construction of St. Peter's. The Vatican's financial superintendent keeps harassing me for a progress report. My response: your lordship, I am not obliged to, nor do I intend to, tell you anything. Your job is to keep the money rolling in, and out of the hands of thieves. I will see to the building."

This is part of a letter Michelangelo wrote to Giorgio Vasari about finishing the building.

"So, Vasari, God wants me to encumber him for a few more years. I know you will tell me I am a crazy old man to write sonnets -- but since many people say that I have become gaga, I have to live up to my reputation. I can feel through your letter the affection you feel for me. Yes, I would like to move my old bones next to those of my father, as you beseech me to do. But if I left Rome, I would feel guilty of dooming Saint Peter's to failure, and that would be a great shame and a deadly sin. When enough of the construction is done and nothing can be changed to it any more, I hope to follow your advice -- when it is no longer important to frustrate the appetites of those who hope that I will leave soon."

No comments:

Post a Comment